Friday, July 18, 2014

Educating yourself to break down the Brick Walls.

As genealogist we will all come to some point in our family search that we hit a brick wall. The key to resolving it is educating yourself on the subject that is stopping you. Luckily in this day and age there are several areas on the Internet and offline that can help you in your search. Over the next couple of days I am going to write about some items that will help you.

Videos are all over the internet to help us with understanding the various aspects of genealogy research. You can learn from A to Z on almost every subject. Start out with identifying subjects that will you need help breaking your genealogy breaking your brick wall down on. Example would be what does the death record really tell me? What information on this record am I missing that may be a clue?

There are two great sources on the Internet to watch videos that will help educate you better on subjects that we need to learn more about. I have had many moments in my research when I educate myself that the solution to the Brick Wall becomes very clear. The first website you can take a look at would be www.familysearch.org. Here you can learn information by very knowledgeable presenters on a variety of subjects. The second site I like to go to is You Tube. Sure this site has videos on cute animals and the next big thing, but it also has videos on genealogy.

Try these sites out and let me know what you learn. Tomorrow I will speak on the subject of online seminars.