Monday, August 11, 2014

Genealogy Field of Dreams

Over the weekend I watched the movie Field of Dreams with Kevin Costner for the eleventh time. For some reason this movie always makes me cry. This is not normally something I do very often. Sure I enjoy baseball, but got me to thinking. Why do I watch this movie? Then it suddenly dawned on me is because I love Genealogy and my Family History.

The short version of the movie is the main character Kevin hears voices telling him to build a baseball field. He travels the country picking up clues as well as a dead baseball player who is alive. Finally once he builds the field all these dead baseball players come out of a corn field to play baseball. Those that believe can see it.

In my genealogy searches over the past 30 years I have often wished I had a corn field that my dead relatives would suddenly come alive. Oh how easy my brick walls would be to solve. Just think of all the amazing stories you could hear.

As genealogist we are all in the process of building our families stories for ourselves and future generations. Sometimes my research makes me cry as well, but I think that is part of the passion I have for what I do. Are corn fields are the many sources that we search that help bring our relatives alive in some way. Some better than others.

Do you have stories in your families search? Share them.

Thank you again for your support and as always please post your ideas and thoughts.